Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas Greetings

Two days ago I was in my mother's house and I wanted to send an email to my English friends with a Christmas greeting. But I hadn't time to look for the correct vocabulary, so I wrote to them only the classic "Merry Christmas". 

This evening I have decided to search for a way to express wishing or greeting to other people and I have just found it. The better way is using the word "May". 

The word "may" is a modal verb. Surely, you have read sometimes a text where "may" was used in expressing contingency (We may have to take a later flight), possibility (It may rain today) or even opportunity (I may be able to go to the beach this week). It is very useful when you speak to British people, because they are very polite. Especially if you need English for working, you shouldn't forget not only "May" but also "Could", "Please", etc.

Anyway, today I know that the word "may" has another meaning. It is also used frequently to express a prayer or even a wish. And here we are! We may do Christmas greetings using this meaning of the word "may". 

In the following lines you can read the better greetings I've found with word "may":
  • May you have the best of Christmas this year and may all your dreams come true.
  • May the peace and joy of Christmas live in your heart in the new year.
  • May the miracle of Christmas fill your heart with warmth and love.
  • Christmas is a special time of year to remember those who are close to our hearts!
    May your days be bright, and your heart be light!
  • Wish I could spend the Christmas Hols with you. I am missing you so much. May you have the best of Christmas.
  • Christmas is the time of giving and sharing. It is the time of loving and forgiving.. And to feel the Joy and Happiness of being Loved and to be Loved.. May this Christmas be a Joyous one as You Ever Had!!

And my favourite greeting for all of you is:  Merry Christmas!. Make merry not just on this wonderful holiday but all through the new year!!


PS: You can learn more about may verb here.


Please, If you find any mistake or you have another point of view about the information that I have posted, please leave a comment. We can all learn together! This blog feeds on your coments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment