Thursday 17 January 2013

Adjetive Order

You know you can put more than one adjective before a noun (often two and occasionally three). These adjectives go in a particular order:
  1. Opinion adjective go before fact adjectives, 
  2. If there is more than one fact adjective, the go in the following order:

This is very difficult to remember, so I'm writing a rime that a teacher tell me some time ago, in order to helping me to remain this order in my memory:


“In my nice (opinion) big (size) flat,
there’s an old (age) round (shape/style) box,
for my green (colour/pattern) Swiss (nationality) hat,
and my woolly (material) walking (purpose) socks”



If that doesn't work, you always can use the "acronim" formed by the first word of every adjective. I mean, you can use: OSAShCNMP

Even so, if this doen't help, you could try with the following chain of characters: it is used by Vicent, one of my blog reader and an English student too: 'BNLPISS', which means 'Big New Long Pink Italian Silk Skirt'

I hope this help.


Please, If you find any mistake or you have another point of view about the information that I have posted, please leave a comment. We can all learn together! This blog feeds on your coments!!

5 comments:

  1. It really doesn´t matter because I don´t most native speakers are aware of this. I don´t even remember learning it my grammar classes. You can learn if you want to, but in your everyday interactions with native speakers it proabably would not make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Margaret, in day to day life, the order it's no important for people, but in my exams, my teachers take it into account. I use this chain of characters to remember the order 'BNLPISS', which means:
    'Big New Long Pink Italian Silk Skirt'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for both your comments.

    I agree with you: sometimes, at lenguage schools teach us things that are not really useful or needed in a dayly life. I always think the same: to pass an English exam is not the same thing as knowing English.

    Vicent, your chain of characters is much easier than mine. If you don't mind, I would like to updated the post with your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind Sasha, I'd be very proud of it.
      Thank you.

      Delete