Wednesday 2 January 2013

New Year Resolutions

Since I was a child, I have been scared of needles. I mean, the sort of needles that are placed in a vein - only those make me feel panicky. I have always had a bad relationship with them:
  • When I was 5 years old, doctors prescribe my first blood test: When my parents and I arrived at the health clinic, nurses had to tie me (literally) in order to extract me blood.
  • Every time I have had a blood test since then, I have felt dizzy and even fainted.
To give blood was not only a recurring "new year resolution", but also a "life resolution": I would like to help people to feel better and healthy.  It seems to be so easy that I always feel bad with myself when I don't take a step forward to give blood.

Last Friday, my mother had her back-checked at Puerta del Mar Hospital, in Cádiz. She was operated on 9 months ago. She had 4 slipped discs (hernias) at the bottom of her back (lumbar spine) and she needs to have the screws and the plate checked to see that they haven't moved. Normally, this type of checking takes a long time, so I don't know why but I decided to spend this time in banishing my fear.  


Today I can say that on 28 December 2012 it was just the first time I gave blood. It made me feel so so happy and proud of myself.   



And what about your resolutions? Did you carry them out in 2012? Have you thought abut your 2013 resolutions?

In relation to this post, I want to upload my next note here, and this one is about vocabulary for healthy (Illness And Treatment).


Please, If you find any mistake or you have another point of view about the information that I have posted, please leave a comment. We can all learn together! This blog feeds on your coments!!

2 comments: